The skill sets required for commercial painting and decorating are dependent on the project nature, location and painting, types of tools and equipment used, types of walls, ceiling, windows, doors, furniture and machinery to be painted, volume of work and time schedule. You will be able to chart out an exact plan based on tangible factors. Considerations for personal, equipment and location Safety are the key elements to hassle free task execution. Material, tool, manpower and cost estimations help in accurate planning for project completion within scheduled time.
Areas of Commercial Painting and Decorating
Commercial painting involves huge areas of coverage like the construction sites, corporate buildings, shops and malls, industrial establishments, bridges, machinery, vehicles and so on. Literally the list can be endless. But the basic categorization could be on buildings, machinery, vehicles, furniture and fixture etc.
Basic Skills for Commercial Painting and Decorating
Skill to prepare multiple types of painting surfaces by eliminating stains, filling cracks, removing old paints, rust and stain marks, plastering, ceiling and other filling and repairing tasks is the primary requirement for commercial painting and decorating.
- The procedure for surface preparation is different for concrete, bricks, metals and wood. In some cases you might need to include plastic and synthetic surfaces, especially in corporate and industrial painting and decorating.
- A sample procedural flow includes surface drying, crack and gap filling, sanding, applying of primers, plastering, painting and finishing. Specific projects might add many main and sub procedures within this general flow as required. You should have the skills to carry out these tasks as an individual and as a team member.
- Selection of paint based on the nature of painting surface / object is a skin highly required for commercial painting and decorating. For example internal walls can be painted using water soluble paints while external walls need oil based paints. Alternately you can also use latex paint also. Spray painting is highly recommended for metal surfaces like machinery, railing, metal furniture and fixture etc. Masonry type of waterproof paints can be used for concrete and brick surfaces. They need to be pre treated with block and crack fillers. After painting they can be finished with acrylic type of latex paints. Corrosion resistant paints need to be used for metal surfaces on machinery, plant installations and furniture and construction components.
- Selection of the right type and size of tools and equipment for painting and decorating purposes based on the surface area, type, angle of curve and other factors will determine the time and paint consumption.
- Skill to avoid wasting of materials, paint and add on accessories determines the efficient usage.
- Troubleshooting skills determine the ability of the painter in taking corrective, preventive and proactive measures in case of emergencies and regular maintenance services.
- Safety skills determine the protection of individuals, interiors, plant and machinery from hazardous elements. This involves usage of safety gears, protective equipment and devices, safe storage spaces chemicals, paints and other add on materials etc. Marking and labeling of work under progress areas with yellow and red paints can enhance safety during commercial painting and decorating activities.